Search This Blog

Friday, October 21, 2011

May- Family History, New York City, and Moving

In early May, Sarah and Jared flew out to Missouri and found us a place to live. Then mid-May, Sarah's parents, Jay and Sandy, flew out to meet their newest grand baby and then to help us move. While they were there we had some fun travels. We took a day drive to northern New York to find the grave site of some of our ancestors.

Then we took a 2 day trip to Boston and Cape Cod. We got to see Plymouth Rock and the site of the Mayflower landing. There is a statue to honor Chief Massasoit. He was the Indian Chief who first negotiated a treaty with the Pilgrims. If I remember correctly, he was my 13th great grandfather, maybe 12th. We also have 12-13th great grandparents who landed with the first group of Pilgrims. So amazing to learn more about my family history!

After that we took a day trip down to New York City. We drove a few hours south from Pittsfield to catch the train down into the city so we wouldn't have to worry about parking. Such a fantastic day! We took the ferry out to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. We walked around the city seeing all the sites, some we'd seen before but others that were new. It was Sarah's mom, Sandy's, first time. While down near Time Square, James bought Sarah some amazing purses! We even road the subway for the first time!


After all of our travels were over, it was time to end our year in Massachusetts. It was kinda bitter sweet. Even though there were things that were hard/frustrating/irritating, that last week I experienced an effect termed graduation goggles. Even the irritating things took on a nostalgic aura and I realized I actually would miss the Northeast, just not enough to stay! What I miss most though are two amazing friends, Mike and Jenn. Saying goodbye to them was probably the hardest part of the experience, but it had to be done. We drove the stretch back to the Midwest in 2 days. Then once we dropped all our stuff of in the new place and returned the truck, we took off for the drive to Idaho.

3 comments:

Grandma Sandy said...

Wow, you did such a great job on this. What wonderful memories it brings back of the wonderful time we shared. You guys are awesome!

Rob said...

Isn't New York awesome! Man, I miss that place. Sounds like you guys had a fun trip! I felt the same way, the Northeast is a fun place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I'd forgotten that we had relatives on the Mayflower. Are we direct line and do you know what their names are? I didn't know we were related to the Indian chief. Or, is that James? What line is that?

Grandma Sandy said...

Chief Massasoit is the Indian chief and he is a direct line grandfather through the White line. Dad and I both had family in the Mayflower ancestors. Pretty cool huh?